Without going into too much detail, here are a few tips you can immediately start using in order to improve your automation flows.
Make sure you read our article on how to improve your deliverability.
Number of steps and sending time
- Send at least 3 emails per campaign, ideally 5. 70% of responses come between the 2nd and the 4th email. Go for more if your sales cycle is longer.
- Alternate sending times. Don’t send all the steps only in the mornings or at the same time. This will help you reach people with different email reading habits and it will make your sending pattern look more natural.
- Generally, use Monday to Friday as sending days, but if your audience has a very specific profile (like journalists or management consultants) you can also try very specific days (weekends for journalists - they don’t mind getting emails) or times (very late in the evening for management consultants, they work crazy hours).
- Keep it short and to the point.
- Stay clear of buzzwords that’ll get you marked as spam.
- Avoid ALL CAPS and exclamation points!!!
More on how to write a great subject line.
- Personalize the content of the emails using at least 2-3 template variables.
- Keep your communication simple and personal. Forget about B2B, now it all about H2H - human to human communication.
- Use the custom fields to add hyper customized information about your prospects and then insert that into your campaigns. It will help increase your reply rate as people will see you’ve done some serious research before contacting them.
- Attachments don’t work with Prospect.io. They are bad for email deliverability so upload your file on a cloud storage app like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. and include a link to the file.
- Don’t use more than 2-3 links and 1-2 images.
- Keep emails short, avoid writing more than 2-3 paragraphs unless you really personalize the content for every prospect.
Optimize your automation flows - Split testing (A/B testing)
- If you’re starting with the outbound email you need to find the right approach for your target market.
- To do this, you need to duplicate the automation you created and tweak one element at the time, and then analyze the results. We would recommend you start with the subject line.
- If results are significant (>5%) on a 50-prospect sample, opt for the variable that generated the best results.