Without delving into too much detail, here's a few tips you can immediately start using in order to improve your campaigns.
Make sure you read our article on how to improve your deliverability.
Number of steps and sending time
- Send between 3 and 7 emails. Less than that would make you miss out on open or replies and more than 7 start irritating your audience and your email might end up marked as spam.
- Alternate sending times, don’t send all the steps only in the mornings or at the same time. This will help you reach people with different email reading habits.
- Generally use Monday to Friday as sending days, but if your audience has a very specific profile (like journalists or management consultants) you can also try very specific days (weekends for journalists - they don’t mind getting emails) or times (very late in the evening for management consultants, they work crazy hours).
Read more awesome tips on how to craft a great follow-up!
- Keep it short and to the point.
- Stay clear of buzzwords that’ll get you marked as spam.
- Avoid ALL CAPS and exclamation points!!!
More on how to write a great subject line.
- Personalize the content of the emails using at least 2-3 template variables.
- Keep your communication simple and personal. Forget about B2B, now it all about H2H - human to human communication.
- If possible please use the custom fields to add very customised information about your prospects and then insert that into your campaigns - it will help increase your reply rate as people would see you’ve done some serious research work before contacting them.
- Attachments don’t work with Prospect.io - they are bad for email deliverability so upload your file on a cloud storage app like Dropbox, Google Drive etc and include a link to the file.
- Don’t use more than 2-3 links and 1-2 images.
- Keep emails short, avoid writing more than 2-3 paragraphs unless you really personalize the content for every prospect.
Optimize your campaigns - Split testing (A/B testing)
- If you’re starting with outbound email you need to find the right approach for your target market.
- In order to do this, you need to duplicate a campaign you created and tweak one element at the time, and then analyse the results. We would recommend you start with the subject line.
- If results are significant (>5%) on a 50-prospects sample, opt for the variable that generated the best results.